ST MATTHEW PASSION PROJECT
& PASSION SCHOOL
Beginning in early spring 2021 and finishing with a live video broadcast performance planned for Good Friday, One World Baroque will embark on an intensive, multi-layered performance project on the chorales and choruses in part 1 of J.S. Bach’s magnificent masterwork, The St Matthew Passion.
The St Matthew Passion Project is designed to provide singers with the rare opportunity to undertake an intensive study and performance project on the dramatic first part of this exceptional work.
The PASSION SCHOOL
Places are now open for the second part of the St Matthew Passion Project – an intensive Bach choral study week featuring some of the top early music performers in the world.
The Passion School runs from Feb 28-March 6, 2021 online. Read on to learn more about this exceptional choral course and how you can get involved.
The PASSION SCHOOL
February 27-March 6, 2021
The Passion School is a week-long online choral day school on the choral writing of J.S. Bach. All are welcome on the Passion School, which welcomes both amateur and aspiring professional choral singers.
The School offers participants the rare chance to undertake an intensive week-long study of the music in J.S. Bach’s St Matthew Passion with a large team of internationally renowned choral directors, singers, coaches, and voice technicians led by Music Director Daniel Taylor and Artistic Director Kathryn Whitney.
All sessions are recorded and available to watch at your leisure for those unable to join us live on Zoom.
Special guests for our Passion School include:
Paul McCreesh, Charles Daniels, Howard Dyck, and Dame Emma Kirkby
Passion School – Course Content
1. Choristers Stream – $349
Singers on our main Choristers Stream receive:
- Full choir rehearsals with Daniel Taylor & Howard Dyck
- Cantor Chats with Paul McCreesh (director, Gabrieli Consort) and Dame Emma Kirkby
- Rehearsals on Choral Skills with Howard Dyck and other special guest clinicians
- Workshops with tenor Charles Daniels, violinist Adrian Butterfield (diretor, London Handel Festival), and Howard Dyck, O.C.
- Bach Talks with Anne Grimm, Cristina Zacharias, & Mel Braun
- Choral technique sessions, sectionals by voice part, and diction sessions with Kathryn Whitney
- Social events including our YouSing lunchtime concerts and Bach Virtual Pub Quiz
- All sessions recorded for those unable to attend live
- All music, sound files, and backing tracks provided
- Singers on the choristers stream have the option to submit videos for inclusion in the St Matthew Passion P1 performance on Good Friday, 2021
REPERTOIRE – Choristers Stream
Choristers on the Passion School sing the stunning final movement from Part 1 of the St Matthew Passion, two beautiful chorale elaborations with our tenor and soprano soloists, and the firey ‘thunder and lightening’ chorus:
- Final Movement: O Mensch bewein dein Suende gross
- Alto & Soprano Solo with chorus: So ist mein Jesus nun gefangen
- Thunder & Lightening chorus: Sind Blitze sind Donner
- Tenor Solo with chorus: O Schmerz
Download our Repertoire Distribution List to learn more.
2. Observers Stream – $49
Those wishing to attend the workshops and talks but not the rehearsals, choral techniques, and vocal techniques sessions are welcome on the Passion School as observers.
A WEEK STUDYING BACH’S CHORAL MUSIC WITH SOME OF THE TOP CONDUCTORS IN THE WORLD
Singers on the Choristers stream of the Passion School attend daily warm-ups, vocal technique sessions for choristers, and lectures that will explore Bach’s choral writing and associated singing traditions.
The Choristers stream includes a series of specialist informal sessions, including our Bach Talks with professional choristers, soloists, and players, who will be joining us from around the world.
Choristers work on choruses that are not sung on any other stream on the St Matthew Passion Project – the challenging paired choruses that feature in the middle of Part 1 of the passion story.
Choristers can contribute videos and audio to specialist choral segments of the final Part 1 St Matthew Passion Project video.
Career-track and amateur choristers are welcome.
SPEND A WEEK INSIDE AN INTENSIVE INTERNATIONAL BACH PASSION PERFORMANCE SCHOOL
If you love Bach, but prefer to listen rather than sing, we hope you will join us in the Passion School as an Observer.
Observers are welcome to attend aspects of the School as non-singing participants.
They have access to the lectures and workshops of the Choristers stream, including Bach Talks, with the freedom to come and go as they wish.
(Note: live choral rehearsals are restricted to those registered on the Choristers stream.)
All are welcome as Observers on the Passion School of the St Matthew Passion Project.
We hope you will join us on our journey into Part 1 of J.S. Bach’s St Matthew Passion.