SING MESSIAH IN LONDON
with One World Baroque
and the London Handel Orchestra,
directed by LAURENCE CUMMINGS
One World Baroque has been invited to be a Choral Partner of the London Handel Festival’s MESSIAH REIMAGINED project.
Our singers will record key choruses that will be broadcast around the world during a hybrid in-person/virtual performance of Messiah with Laurence Cummings and the London Handel Orchestra.
The concert will live stream as part of the Christmas Festival at the historic St John’s Smith Square on Friday, December 10, 2021.
We have put together a 3-PART MESSIAH REIMAGINED IN LONDON PROJECT, offered exclusively to One World Baroque singers, to complement our participation in this award-winning project.
Scroll down to learn more or follow this link to view our timetable (subject to change)
All are welcome!
Starts September 18 but all sessions are recorded to watch at your leisure, so you are welcome to join us any time
How will the concert work?
View the previous incarnation of this annual London Handel Festival project to see how the amazing live/virtual technology allows live musicians to collaborate with virtual choirs from around the world:
TWO WAYS TO JOIN US !
1. SING MESSIAH REIMAGINED – Full 3-part project: Attend rehearsals and contribute to our videos; Access ‘Into the Light’ Cantor Chats and Sing-Alongs; Perform in the London concert (12 weeks): $249 CDN
2. INTO THE LIGHT – Cantor Chats and informal Sing-Alongs, 7 weeks : $179
JOIN OUR 3-PART MESSIAH IN LONDON PROJECT
PART 1 – CONCERT PREPARATION – September/October
- One World Baroque Virtual Chorus prepares two choruses as virtual choir videos that will appear in the live London performance: ‘Behold the Lamb of God‘; and ‘Their Sound Is Gone Out Into All Lands‘
- Rehearsals via pre-recorded video with London Handel Festival director, Laurence Cummings
- Live Full Choir Rehearsals with Daniel Taylor and Vocal Warm-Ups, Singing Tips, and Sectionals with Kathryn Whitney on key choruses from Handel’s Messiah
- Project includes scores, materials, and technical support
- One World Baroque Messiah Reimagined video and audio will be completed in October by superb videographers Charissa Bagan & Christopher Bagan.
PART 2 – INTO THE LIGHT – October/November
- Six weeks of CANTOR CHATS, available to One World Baroque singers.
- Live conversations, workshops, and interviews featuring leading conductors, players, and singers from around the world
- Weekly informal KAFFEE UND KUCHEN socials – includes recipes from Handel’s London
- MESSIAH SING-ALONG sessions. Choristers will sight-sing their way through all Messiah choruses, singing 2-3 choruses per week, as we approach the final London performance
Nicholas McGegan, OBE. One of the world’s leading conductors of 18th-century music, joining us live from California.
Looee Arreak, award-winning Inuktitut singer-songwriter, soloist in the film Messiah/Complex, joining us live from Iqaluit, Nunuvut.
Nancy Argenta, the leading Handel soprano of her generation, and one of Canada’s most prolific recording artists, joining us live from Victoria, B.C.
Adrian Butterfield, Musical Director of the Tilford Bach Festival, Associate Music Director of the London Handel Festival, and Professor of Baroque Violin at the Royal College of Musi, joining us live from London.
Charles Daniels, one of the most sought-after tenors in the world. Frequent performer with all major early music ensembles, including Les Voix Humaine, the Orlando Consort, the King’s Consort, joining us live from a European tour.
PART 3 – PERFORMANCE AT ST JOHN’S SMITH SQUARE, LONDON
- Live interviews with Music Director Laurence Cummings and Soloists who will feature in the live London performance (available to participants on both streams ‘Into the Light’ and ‘Sing Messiah – Reimagined in London’
- Participation via pre-recorded video in the live performance at St John’s Smith Square, broadcast live around the world (‘Sing Messiah – Reimagined in London’ stream only)
- Your performance on the Messiah Reimagined video that will remain on the London Handel Festival YouTube Channel (‘Sing Messiah – Reimagined in London’ stream only)
- Virtual Cast Party not to be missed! (All welcome!)
Laurence Cummings leading the London Handel Orchestra
St John’s Smith Square, London – Built during Handel’s lifetime. Site of our Messiah Reimagined live broadcast performance
1. SING MESSIAH REIMAGINED – Full 3-part project: $249 CDN
2. INTO THE LIGHT – Cantor Chats and informal Sing-Alongs only: $179